Changing Forum

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM
Hi,

I just want to say that it seems a bad idea to me to move the development forum from the original one on forums.asp.net. For the following reasons:
  • You are not going to get as many hits here, because the other forum has much greater visibility (ie. links from other places), and comes up first in the search engines
  • You are splitting the body of knowledge about the controls between two places, effectively losing a lot of what has gone before
  • ASP.NET developers are used to going to forums.asp.net, may use other forums there, and will now have to get/manage credentials and get used to another forum
  • People continue to look for information, and to make posts in the previous forum, because it has more content. You have effectively split the community and marginalised yourselves doing this
  • This forum is badly organised, with the most recent posts appearing last, and with no thread organisation. It is very difficult to have a conversation here

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but I think this is an important project, and that this move may harm it.

Regards,

Paul Taylor
www.dotcomsoftwaresolutions.co.uk