Installing CSS Friendly Adapters

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I am relatively new to Visual Studio 2005 and am interested in the CSS Friendly Adapters.

I am having a problem in understanding the installation process of this great product.

http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/WalkThru/WalkThrough.aspx#SimpleMenu has detailed instructions on how to install the css adapters. However, the instructions appear out of date as the first instruction of clicking the "download source" button shows that you get the windows file download screen asking if you want to download or save the file. This is now incorrect, as (at the time of writing) you are taken to another web page: http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly. This page has a number of options of downloading. Not really knowing what to do I chose 2 of the download options.

The first option I chose was a button on the right-hand side of the screen with "Recommended release: 1.0 Production Mon Mar 5 2007 at 8:00 AM<abbr></abbr>  11 ratings 119837 downloads, 6 reviews". This downloads CSSFriendly_1[1].0.zip on to your PC. Unzipping this file loads up 2 folders and 4 files: CSSFriendly folder with lots of files; Web folder with more folders and files; CSSFriendly.sln; CSSFriendly.suo; CSSFriendly.vssscc and readme.txt (which does not help me at all).

The Second Option I chose was clicking on the "Releases tab" link within the following paragraph

• Go to the Releases tab. You should see three prominent links to files. The zip file contains the source code, the CSSFriendly.dll file contains the compiled source code, and the the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file is a configuration file. You only need the dll and browser files.

I clicked on the "Releases tab" link and this took me to another web page http://cssfriendly.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2159. This screen gives 2 lots of different downloads to choose from. The first option is downloading the CSSFriendly 1.0 zip. The second option comes under the heading of "Other available downloads" where one can download 2 separate files CSSFriendly.dll and CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser.txt.  I opted for both the files under "Other available downloads". I chose this option because of th information given in the "Release tab" bullet point above.

Up to this point, I have downloaded one zip file, the CSSFriendly.dll and CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser.txt, not really sure what to do with them all.

Going back to http://www.codeplex.com/cssfriendly, it gives 2 instructions.

1. Add a reference to CSSFriendly.dll. This is typically done by right-clicking your web project, choosing the Add References command, browsing for the CSSFriendly.dll file, and clicking OK.

2. Add the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser file to the AppBrowsers folder in the root of your web project. If the AppBrowsers folder doesn't exist, create it.

The first instruction seemed quite straight forward
    For the second instruction, I created a folder in my project called App_Browsers and copied the CSSFriendlyAdapters.browser.txt file into the folder.

I am not sure what to do next?

What do I do with the downloaded zip file. Should I be understanding the readme.txt file?

Sorry if I am a bit thick over this...

Kind Regards

Mike

• Coordinator
    Jan 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

That's all you need to do.

• Adding the reference to the DLL incorporates the CSS adapter code into your project.
    • Adding the App_Browsers file tells the ASP.Net engine to use the CSS adapter DLL to render certain controls (like Menu).

Add a web page and toss in a simple Menu control, and the view source of the page -- if the menu is rendered with things like DIV and SPAN tags instead of TABLEs, then everything's working fine.

- b

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Hi Brian,

sorry to bother you again.

I entered the menu into the .asp page as follows:
    <body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:Menu ID="Menu1" runat="server" Orientation="Horizontal">
    <Items>
    <asp:MenuItem Text="Main 1" Value="Main 1"></asp:MenuItem>
    <asp:MenuItem Text="Main 2" Value="Main 2"></asp:MenuItem>
    </Items>
    </asp:Menu>

</form>
    </body>

However, the menu displayed is just the standard menu that comes with the Visual Studio 2005.

What am I not doing?

Regards

Mike

To: [email removed]
    Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 06:37:10 -0800
    Subject: Re: Installing CSS Friendly Adapters [cssfriendly:80044]

That's all you need to do.
    • Adding the reference to the DLL incorporates the CSS adapter code into your project.
    • Adding the App_Browsers file tells the ASP.Net engine to use the CSS adapter DLL to render certain controls (like Menu).
    Add a web page and toss in a simple Menu control, and the view source of the page -- if the menu is rendered with things like DIV and SPAN tags instead of TABLEs, then everything's working fine.

- b

Read the full discussion online.
    To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (cssfriendly@discussions.codeplex.com)
    To start a new discussion for this project, email cssfriendly@discussions.codeplex.com
    You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
    Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now